Wednesday, January 31, 2007

The Little Red Lighthouse


During our character education time this week we've been reading The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Grey Bridge each morning. The book is about the pride the lighthouse feels as he goes about his job. However, at one point his pride goes to far and becomes the wrong kind of pride. The lighthouse declares, "I'm MASTER OF THE RIVER".

We started talking about the kind of pride that says, "I'm smarter or better than anyone else." We discussed how that type of pride sometimes leads to a fall or disappointment.

In the story, just after the lighthouse declares himself Master of the River, a great grey bridge is built right next to him. The lighthouse feels very small and unimportant next to this huge structure, with it's giant light flashing from the upper reaches of its steel columns. He gives up until the bridge calls to him during a storm and asks him to shine his light for the ships, since the bridge's light is only for the ships of the air. "To each his own, little brother", the great grey bridge tells him. The lighthouse returns to his work and now feels pride in his job but it is the proper kind of pride.

This is a pretty complex idea and so I waited until we'd read it a few times before I brought this to their attention. I thought maybe I'd tell them a story from my own life that could illustrate this.

I told them about how I was recognized in high school as a good singer. I was picked to be a part of elite vocal groups, sang solos and competed in state singing competitions. In college I joined a group and was the only non-music major and the only freshman allowed in the small acappella ensemble. However, they wanted me to sing alto instead of soprano which I'd never done. But I decided that since I made it into the group and I'd won awards in high school, I didn't need to practice or prepare. I could read music after all and was accomplished at sight reading.

Pride.

I was asked to sing four part harmony with three upperclassmen during a week long concert series. I was the only alto and I had to stand next to a soprano. The song was Silent Night and I thought, "I've been singing that song all my life. I need to just review it a couple of times but I'll be fine." We stood up to sing and after four notes the soprano reached over and gently put her hand on my hand. The message was clear. My notes were WAY off. I was so disappointed and embarrassed. I had set myself up for a fall with my pride. The next day I practised and rehearsed and when I sang the song again I got it right. My pride was back in check.

I told this story to my kidlets and I could see the wheels turning. BirdMan and GooseyGirl were quiet and really thinking about my story. Then RocketMan turned to look at me with his big brown eyes and I could see a question forming in his head. I felt this was a pivotal moment to connect with his forming moral consciousness. I was about to influence with my little man's thoughts.

"Mommy?", he said, "Can you believe how big this hole is in my sock?"

Arrrrghhhhhh......

Well, at least 2/3 of my children got it. Of course, RocketMan is the one who could most use this lesson but it went right over his head.

No comments: