Friday, July 28, 2006

Little known fact about lefties



RocketMan was sort of an unknown in utero. We were told he had signs of a chromosomal disorder. The doctors recommended getting an amniocentesis. They warned us that the chromosomal disorder would kill him before he turned one and would give him severe physical and mental disabilities. Of course, I wanted nothing to do with an amino. There were two other people in there for goodness sakes!

Well, they were wrong. Luke was not born with a chromosomal disorder. After birth we were told he had excess fluid in the left hemisphere of his brain. The doctors said it might hydrocephalus and that he may need a shunt in his brain. Then they said he might have high level autistic tendencies.

What ended up happening was a ton of therapy from 9 months to 3 years old. He got speech, physical and occupational therapy until he turned 3 years old. He still has a few quirks but I'm convinced that early intervention gave me another boy with a brighter future.

He still has some speech issues that are very minor. For example, the hard K sound and the TH sound is difficult for him. Oh, and he's a leftie.


Here's the conversation I overheard in the bathroom as BirdMan and RocketMan are drying off from their showers and combing their hair while buck naked in front of the mirror.

RocketMan: "Could you give me that comb?"

BirdMan: "Yeah. Here 'ya go."

RocketMan: "Van Que"

BirdMan: "What? Van Que? You're supposed to say Thank You not Van Que. "

RocketMan: "Well that's how some people say it."

BirdMan: "Who?"

RocketMan (with all the authority in the world): "Left handed people"

BirdMan (incredulous): "What?"

RocketMan: "Left handed people say Van Que"

BirdMan: "No they don't"

RocketMan (getting upset now): "Yes they do. You just don't know."

BirdMan: "They don't say Van Que."

RocketMan (angry now): "Yes they do and since I'm the only person in the family who is left handed, then I should know. It is true. Pinkie Promise. Lefties say Van Que."

Birdman wrinkles up his nose in disbelief. However, you can tell that RocketMan's logical argument seems to have hit a nerve and BirdMan is now rethinking everything he knows about lefties.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a lefty myself and I would like to say "van que" for all the smiles you've given me. I love reading your blog.

Anonymous said...

I'm a lefty myself and would like to say "van que" for all the smiles and laughs you've given me. I love reading your blog.