Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Gingerbread Rabbits, Music and English Judges

Book Club
This year I decided to start a book club during our school time. During book club we read a book aloud and I model reading skills to help them learn how to infer deeper meaning and become better readers. They are having fun and we do different activities based on the book. It is a little like the Five in a Row curriculum but with a heavier reading instruction focus.

We just finished the Gingerbread Rabbit and mapped out how it is similar to the Gingerbread Man. We also read other versions of the story including the Runaway Tortilla and the Gingerbread Baby. To have a bit of fun with it we made gingerbread rabbits and decorated them with skittles, sprinkles and chocolate chips. They had fun decorating but only RocketMan thought they were edible. BirdMan and GooseyGirl turned up their nose at these treats and decided the fox in the story could snarf up the gingerbread and they wouldn't mind.


New Favorite Website

The last time my friend, Juliet, was in town she noticed that I'm still listening to the same music I had in college. I really needed to increase my new music exposure and I've found a great way to do that! It is a free, wonderful site at pandora.com. You tell it your favorite group, which in my case is the Indigo Girls, and Pandora starts playing similar artists with no commercials and no fees! I love it! It is my own radio station based on the music style I enjoy.

Doesn't Translate
We are reading Dr. Doolittle at night and the kids have become consumed by the story. They listen open mouthed and beg to read "just one more chapter, Mommy!" Last night one of the characters is being tried in an English courtroom. The narrative describes the judges and the lawyers as tall, distinguished men in "grey curly wigs and black gowns".

GooseyGirl nearly lifted out of her seat, "What! They are wearing ball gowns and wigs?"

Suddenly England went all transvestite on her.

I assured her it was much more dignified than it sounded. Well, sort of. :)




Technorati tags:, , , , ,
buzz words: homeschool, home school, classical education, home educator

No comments: