Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Perspectives


Recently, Gooseygirl decided she needed a "To Do" list to plan out her day. She then wrote a heart beside all the things she loves to do and an X once she finished the tasks. I especially love the "hug dad mom" entry!

My mom has a worksheet that my brother filled out when he was in elementary school hanging on her fridge. The paper asked about his mother's likes and dislikes. Some of the questions were- What is your mother's favorite hobby? He answered "laundry". What is your mother's favorite activity? He answered "The dishes". My brother's young idea of who his mother is, was overshadowed by all she did to keep the house running. That paper gives me the giggles every time I see it.

When my kidlets were babies, I got to the point where I didn't feel like I was accomplishing anything outside of babyland. In my diary I wrote, "Today I Accomplished: 1) turned on the washing machine". Now that doesn't mean that I loaded the washer. Nor does it mean I put the clothes, once washed, into the dryer. All it means is that I turned the dang thing on! Having children completely changes your perspective, eh?

We're on spring break this week and I had a mountain of things I wanted to complete but it seems like time liquefies and slips through my fingers. But more importantly, I want to make sure my kids see beyond my role in making this house function. I want them to see the woman, the person that is their mother. Maybe my "To-Do" list needs to revert back to the type of list Gooseygirl wrote.

Today Mommy Will:
-play with my kids
-nuzzle my cat
-laugh
-dream
-watch American Idol

There, that's much better! (and yes, I LOVE American Idol!)

No comments: