Monday, April 03, 2006

Heroes


We talk to our children about morals and character traits often. We discuss their passions, gifts and talents. We talk about historical figures that set good examples. We talk about heroes.

Last night I was thinking about my definition of a hero. I believe a hero is someone who stands up to adversity and consistently demonstrates the quality of their character by their heartfelt actions and deeds. Once I defined the term in my mind I instantly knew who one of my heroes is.

My hero is my Dad.

His name is Fred and he is honest, loving, gentle, caring, intelligent and kind. I have vivid memories of being held and carried by him when I was a small girl. He would scoop me up in his powerful arms and I would feel protected, safe, loved. Once I got too big to pick up he'd still make sure I knew how much he loved me. To this day he calls me Princess or Angel. I've always known how proud he is of me and how much he cares for me.

I suppose that one of the things I most admire about him is the undeniable love he has for my mother. They met on a blind date as teenagers and have been together ever since. Their example of love, marriage and a sense of humor has been a guiding force in my life.

He is steadfast in his faith and enjoys sharing his love for God with everyone around him. He enjoys helping others and he chose a profession, pharmacy, that allows him to care for others. He takes pride in his work and knows that he is a valuable resource in guiding others to good health.

My dad is currently fighting cancer and is going through some complications. He is in the hospital right now and I stayed with him last night so that my Mom could get some sleep. I was really happy that I could help him and care for him given all that he has done for me. Watching him fight this battle with cancer has given me even more reasons to be proud of him. He continues to keep a positive outlook and a loving spirit as he teaches me so much about life and love. I'm just so privileged to have him for my daddy. I love you, Dad!

No comments: