Monday, July 02, 2007

Second Grade- The Series


In May we had a party to celebrate the end of second grade. My kidlets thought that summer would be a time of blissful forgetfulness.

That is...until today.

I started seeing the classic symptoms last week. The diagnosis was easy: Nintendo has sucked their brains dry.

So this morning I welcomed them to Second Grade, the Series! We did some light school to get their brains ready for third grade. Everything was going fine until handwriting time.

The door bell rang.

Oh no- Neighbor kids.

I cracked the door just a hair, trying to prevent my children from being sucked away from my "Son of Second Grade" experiment.

"Can the triplets come play?", asked two innocent boys from across the street.

"No, they are doing their handwriting right now.", I said.

Oops... As soon as it slipped out I knew I was in trouble.

"They are doing what?", the two exclaimed as if I was admitting to some sort of social debauchery.

"Um, they'll be out in about 45 minutes.", I said as I quickly shut the door. But it was too late. The neighbors knew. My secret was out. It is July and we are doing... SCHOOL!!!!

Call the authorities!!!

So this morning was homeschool light. I always start with a brain booster. Today it was from the book Analogies Ready to go reproducibles.

This book is an easy way to slide into schooltime and wake up their brains. Occasionally you even learn something about the kiddo in the process.

I read one of the examples aloud, "Okay, kids, here's the first one. Flour is to *blank* as Tools are to Carpenter."

Birdman shouts out, "Millner!"

There was utter silence as we all tried to process the word "millner".

Rocketman looked at him incredulous and said, "Why would you put flour on a hat?"

Birdman's face was a blank stare. He had no idea what RocketMan's problem was. That's when I realized my southern accent had slipped out without me noticing.

After all, a Millner would use a FLOWER on a hat just like tools are used by a carpenter, right?

Bwah-ha-ha-ha! BirdMan gets an A today!


Technorati Tags: homeschooling, home school, education, home education, parenting, family, homeschooler, children, unschooling, teaching

No comments: