Monday, July 02, 2007

Top Ten Things In Your Heart Right Now

Katherine over at Our Report Card posted yesterday about a question she pose every now and again to her children. She wrote, "Every so often I ask the children to "list the top ten things in your heart right now."

I thought it was a wonderful idea. But it didn't turn out quite like I'd hoped.

I started with GooseyGirl because she is so connected to her feelings. She sighed and said:
1) Yogi
2) JoJo
3) all kitties
4) Momma
5) brothers
6) drawing
7) playing with friends
8) "Am I done yet, Mom?"

Unfazed, I moved on to BirdMan. I was hoping he would have some heart felt items to share.
1) Apollo
2) all birds
3) trees
4) Momma
5) "can I have more Doritos?"

Finally I asked RocketMan. You must remember that RocketMan is legalistic. He is VERY uncomfortable stepping outside his well defined box. He likes precise words and finds it hard to converse in nebulous ways.

Here is RocketMan's list:
1)skateboarding
2)climbing trees
3) this chair
4) My PJs
5) a cat brush

I cut him off at this point because he was just naming everything in the room. I tried to explain it again but got the same result. I've decided he's gonna make a good engineer.

I decided I needed to participate as well.
Here's the MommaChick's list:
1) the crisp delicate edge of new grass
2) GooseyGirl's big brown eyes
3) BirdMan's soft warm hugs
4) RocketMan's long lush eyelashes
5) My ailing kitty, JoJo's deep story-filled green eyes
6) Rev. Sky St. John at Unity in Hawaii
7) My Dad's delight with our bird, Apollo, each morning as he feeds him a raisin
8) My Mom's out loud laughter complete with a loud clap
9) the tiny little baby growing inside my close, close friend, Juliet
10) Quilts, quilts, quilts

I'm celebrating my new independence on this Independence Day! Are you? Share your top ten things in your heart!


Technorati Tags: homeschooling, home school, education, home education, parenting, family, homeschooler, children, unschooling, teaching

No comments: