Monday, August 13, 2007

First Day of School


Well, today is the day. The first day of third grade. I am surprisingly okay with the end of our homeschooling journey. I thought I would be able to tailor their education to their passions for many more years but then life happens. Trying to continue homeschooling as a single parent isn't possible for me.

But I like their teacher and they are very excited about school. I am trusting in the goodness of the universe as we swing toward traditional school for the first time. This transition is going to be hard and I will have to deal with a myriad of feelings as they hit those inevitable rocky patches.

Last night RocketMan told me, "Mom, I wish you could home school us again." My heart broke.

This morning RocketMan said, "I hope our teacher this year is as nice as our Kindergarten teacher." As their former Kindergarten teacher I needed that little word hug.

Last night GooseyGirl couldn't sleep and she got out her history notebook and read through all the history we covered in 1st and 2nd grade. I was impressed with how much she remembered about Alexander and Beaucephalus, Attila the Hun, Osiris, Buddha, Constantine, and Clovis.


Perhaps we'll move towards afterschooling to keep up with history and latin. I don't know what is store for us but I trust that it is only for the good and I welcome the changes in my life
as an opportunity to learn more.

So, yeah, I'm a bit melancholy but I'm also excited for them. I wish I could be a fly on the wall today!

Technorati Tags: homeschooling, home school, education, home education, parenting, family, homeschooler, children, unschooling, teaching

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be thinking about you today! Although I doubt the teacher could be as nice as the one they had for K, I'm betting it will all be fine.

Our trippers are two boys and a girl too, but our boys are identical.

Anonymous said...

I hope the kids had a wonderful day!! Sounds like you've got 3 sweet ones. :)

Angela in TN on WTMboards

Robinella said...

Hugs to you, Super Mom!!! You've given them the best start possible. Be sure and let us know about their day.

Anonymous said...

Wow, they look so much older than when I first found your blog. I'll bet they had an exciting day...and I bet your kids are the only ones in the entire school who know about Clovis. It's a shame they don't do ancient history until highschool(at least here in TX)

Unknown said...

Thanks for the support, everyone. I truly appreciate it!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

It's been several months since I last read your blog, and I was so surprised to find that you are no longer homeschooling. I can somewhat identify with your melancholy feeling, because I, too, have recently put my kids in public school for personal/family reasons. I miss them so much! I'm hoping that sometime soon we can begin homeschooling again.

I have always admired the joy in your homeschooling that seems apparent from your posts. Your kids seem so happy and excited with their schooling, and there were many times when I borrowed a lot of your fun ideas to try with my own children (8dd and 6ds).

I wish you and your children well during this time of adjustment. I will continue to read your blog to see how they are doing (and you!).

Blessings,
Lisa