Friday, June 09, 2006

Discombobulated



One of the biggest lessons of motherhood is that whenever you hear sudden utter silence... start running. The opposite also applies, whenever you hear sudden uproarious peals of laughter... start running.

During lessons yesterday we read a book about a pigeon flying through Rome. The pigeon gets hit by a soccer ball and becomes "discombobulated". My kidlets thought this word was HILARIOUS and continued to repeat it over and over throughout the morning.

Later that afternoon, I was cleaning out the toy room and found two Sit n' Spins under a pile of dress up clothes behind the couch. The kids haven't played with these things in over a year and it was a reminder to me that I need to weed out some of the toys they don't touch anymore.

Of course, trying to clean and weed a playroom while the children are awake is like pushing chain. You don't get very far and frustration is all you achieve. I gave up and retreated to my sewing room where the mess is all mine. GooseyGirl came in and asked if she could get Apollo, our new Green Cheeked Conure, out of his cage. I gave her permission and she skipped away.

A few minutes later I heard the aforementioned peals of laughter coming from the playroom.

I started running.

There was GooseyGirl with Apollo on her head while she sat on the Sit n' Spin going round and round like mad. RocketMan and BirdMan were belly laughing saying, "Look Mom, Apollo is discombobulated!"

It wasn't exactly the vocabulary lesson I had in mind.

I stopped her immediately but I'm thinking Apollo should have pooped in her hair. That would have been a better punishment then anything I could have dished out.

Apollo is okay but I'm sure he prefers a perch that isn't reminiscent of the teacup ride at Disney world. I hope this bird is patient with us. We're gonna need it!

No comments: