Friday, June 23, 2006

Happy Hanukkah!


You've heard of Christmas in July? Well, it is Hanukkah in June!

Yesterday during our history lesson, the Romans destroyed the Jewish Temple in Jerusalem which then scattered the Jews all over the world. As I explained that it was only recently that Jerusalem came back under Jewish control, I had one of those Star Trek space/time continuum moments. It really boggles my mind and makes me feel very, very small when I consider that an event from 70 AD reverberates and effects today's history and conflicts.

After we talked about the Jewish faith we made paper dreidels and played the dreidel game. Then we made Latkes (Jewish potato pancakes) for dinner. YUM! Shawn called on his way home from work and RocketMan picked up the phone.

"Hi, son. What are you doing?", Shawn asks.

"Oh, we're being Jewish", RocketMan replies nonchalantly.

I can almost hear Shawn's brows wrinkle through the phone lines.

Last night during dinner we were bringing Shawn up to date on what we've been doing in our history lessons. GooseyGirl and RocketMan were telling him how the Jews scattered after the Romans destroyed the Jewish temple... "You know, Dad, they scattered like when you blow on a dandelion and the seeds go everywhere". I was so proud of how much history they were taking in and how well they could explain what we've been studying.

Just when I was ready to pat myself on the back, BirdMan looks at me and says, "Momma, will my baby fangs fall out someday?"

I had to laugh! The tooth fairy has been a regular visitor here lately and apparently has become a bigger factor in our lives than I'd realized! Apparently only two thirds of my kids were paying attention during history. The other 33% was contemplating how much money he could earn from the teeth he has left to cash in.

No comments: