Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Goodbye bodies, hello critters!

Today we left behind our study of the human body and moved on to our study of the Animal Kingdom. The lab today involved taking pictures of alien critters and attempting to group them together in pairs. The kids had to pay attention to the critters similarities and differences in order to figure out a way to group or classify them. Then we got the key and saw how they were supposed to be classified. L did especially well working through the logic of classification. E enjoyed coloring all the critters based on whether she thought they were a girl or boy and what type of habitat they'd call home.

They are doing well with piano lessons. I'm taking the frugal/economical route and teaching them the Suzuki method myself! I couldn't believe how much $$ it was going to be for three kiddos to learn piano! I figure if I can teach them to read, surely I can teach them piano. After all, I took piano for a number of years. The fine motor skills required to press the keys in the desired order is challenging them but I'm seeing steady improvement! Today they played Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star by themselves for the first time.

This morning our principal, DH, left notes for each kiddo with an encouraging remark about their schoolwork and their progress. They beamed with pride when they discovered their notes! My heart felt good when E beamed, "Mommy, I LOVE school!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there students. Uncle Ole and I look forward to showing you the critters in the Smithsonian Natural History Museum. Here's a link to some of their resources: http://www.mnh.si.edu/rc/ In particular, you might be intersted in the division of birds, holding over 600,000 specimens. We're also very excited here in Washington about the new baby panda at the National Zoo. He just got a name: Tian Shan, which means "Peaceful Mountain" in Chinese. He has his own blog at http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Animals/GiantPandas/ Unfortunately, he won't be on public display until December -- he's still a little baby -- but you can see him on camera and read about him.