Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Greek Calamari



Today during science we studied the life cycle of a jellyfish. I had no idea they changed during their lives like a butterfly. They begin life in the polyp stage stacked upside down like nested cups with their tentacles pointing up waving in the ocean. Then they pop off one polyp and turn upside down as their tentacles hang from their body. This stage is called the Medusa stage.

The kids immediately exploded with recognition. We'd been talking about Greek mythology so they recognized the Medusa reference immediately. Their eyes were positively beaming as it "clicked". Then we talked about the simple freshwater hydra and again they perked right up. "The HYDRA mom! Like what one Hercules fought!" They could immediately see why the animal was given that name based on what they know about mythology. It is so cool to see the different subjects intertwine unexpectedly like that!

I was able to finish our logo. Here is the final version. I really like it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey - Not fair. You asked us blog readers to vote on three logos, then you threw our votes away and settled on a 4th one we hadn't even seen. Why, you would think that this is your blog or something. Oh well, I guess I will still claim you as my daughter. Love Mom & G-Ma
ps - I had fun feeding you all supper tonight & playing with you in the basement!

Anonymous said...

Just checking to make sure the soccer game on Friday is at 6 pm. If not, you can give us a call! We can't wait to see you all there. :)
Love,
Amanda

Anonymous said...

Dude, your children are connecting jellyfish anatomy and Greek mythology? I'm not sure if I'm more amazed with how incredible your kids are or how incredible you are. You're all amazing.