Monday, February 06, 2006

It's a spoon, not a shovel.


You know you are a grownup when.... new furniture is exciting. Last week we bought a new kitchen table. Which meant it was the perfect time to talk about table manners during our daily character lessons.

Each day we'd practice setting the table and talked about how to be considerate at the table. I showed them how to eat soup by pushing the spoon away from you and wiping the bottom of the spoon on the rim of the bowl. I put water in their bowls as they each practiced this feat.

Finally, on Friday, we had soup for lunch. I placed their bowls on an underplate and gave them one of our fancy spoons to use. They were so proud of themselves. Rocketman reminded everyone not to slurp the soup like a camel. Gooseygirl passed out the napkins and the Birdman showed everyone how perfectly he was pushing the spoon away from him so that he could wipe the spoon on the bowl exactly like we'd practiced.

I was so happy with how much pride they were taking in their table manner lessons. Birdman looked at me lovingly with his blue eyes and said, "Momma, didn't I use my best manners today?" Then with great care he put his spoon down, picked up his soup bowl, brought it to his mouth and proceeded to suck up the last bits of broth in his bowl.

Sigh... not quite ready for dinner with the queen yet.

No comments: