Friday, February 17, 2006

Mammals make milk.



Well, my kidlets didn't connect the dots at the zoo but they sure did today during science class.

Me: Who can tell me the characteristics of a mammal?

Birdman: They have fur or hair

Rocketman: They are warm blooded.

Me: Good! And they are also the only creatures who make milk. Remember that we are mammals. So humans can also make milk.

Gooseygirl: You mean, like, at the grocery store?

Me: No, mommies make milk for their babies from their breasts.

Dead silence. They looked at me like I was about to sprout a second head. Then they started giggling which sent me into a fit of giggles too.

Gooseygirl: We knew that. It comes from here.
Gooseygirl picks up her shirt and points at her belly button.

Me: No, that is how you got food while you were inside of my body. I'm talking about after you were born. You drank milk that my body made because I'm a mammal.

At this point, all three of them were staring at my breasts with wrinkled brows and disbelief.

Gooseygirl (reaches over and squeezes both of my breasts): Are you talking about your humps?

Me: Yes.

Birdman: But how? Does something come out of your skin?

Me: No, it is already poking out of my skin. Mommies have breasts. Babies drink milk from their mommies' breasts.

Rocketman: You mean these two things?
He lifts up his shirt to point at his nipples.

Me:
Yes, but you are a boy. You don't make milk. Only the girls. Someday Gooseygirl will feed her baby milk that her body has made.

A look of the primitive fight or flight instinct passes over Gooseygirl's face. Her two brothers turn to look at her with new eyes and suspicion.


Birdman (to Gooseygirl): You're gonna have twins 'cause you've got two of 'em!

Gooseygirl, at this point, is near panic.
Gooseygirl: Stop looking at me!!!

Rocketman (turns to me with astonishment): That means, you've got three of them????

I dissolved into a fit of giggles. It was the end of science for the day. However, they keep stealing looks at my chest. Science lesson... check!

No comments: