Monday, March 20, 2006

Mom, you're so uncool.


As a girl I LOVED schoolhouse rock. Do you remember it? The government had stipulations that each network had to carry so much educational programming. In order to fulfill that law, one of the networks would insert short jazzy cartoons with catchy songs about grammar, math, history and social studies.

Imagine my excitement when I found the complete DVD set of all the songs at the library! I was so excited and positive my kids would love, "I'm just a bill. Sittin' here on capital hill." Even Shawn was excited about it. We told the kids we'd have family movie night and watch a really great program. We really built up their expectations. I guess that was our first mistake.

I put in the DVD and told them these were mommy and daddy's favorite cartoons when we were little. The first song came up, "Conjunction junction what's your function?" Shawn and I are singing along having a ball.

After the second song, the kids shot us a look that said, "I can't believe I'm related to people this uncool." Then Emily said, "Mom, these are really dumb songs. Can we watch something else?"

I guess that's what you call a generation gap. I was crushed. When did I get so uncool?

No comments: