Wednesday, March 01, 2006

God Speed, Leo.


I went out to get the mail by myself and discovered a small white styrofoam box labeled, "Live Tadpole- Open Immediately!". I left it there so that Birdman could discover it himself. Once I got inside, I retrieved the video camera and sent my unsuspecting son out to get the mail. I tried so hard to keep the camera steady but I just couldn't stop giggling.

He walked out the 150 feet up the driveway as any 6 year old does, kicking rocks, petting the dog, skipping a few steps and tossing sticks aside. However, once he opened the mailbox a squeal of pure joy and delight erupted from him. He did the most adorable little dance in the middle of our street while shouting, "I don't believe it! It came! It's here!".

He grabbed the package and hoisted it up over his head with both hands as he ran as fast as he could towards the house, squealing with every step. He finally spied me and my camera just before he got to the door. "MOM! MY TADPOLE CAME!!" He pushed past me and flung open the door calling out, "Guys, guys! Look!"

Brother and sister erupted with glee and all three were jumping up and down with delight.

His name? Leo the Leopard Frog. However, there is a problem. Leo appears to be very, very "tired". He likes to sleep upside down at the bottom of his aquarium. I told Birdman last night that Leo might be sick and looks like he might die. He was so upset. His little heart just broke. After we tucked them into bed, GooseyGirl came downstairs and told us Birdman was crying. Shawn had to hold Birdman as sobbed until he fell asleep last night. It was so sad.

I called the tadpole farm and they are sending Leo II. It should get here in about 3 weeks.

No comments: