Friday, March 24, 2006

The Romans


We've left the Greeks and are now studying the Romans during history. Our lesson focused on the Romans as builders. They built roads, aqueducts and apartment buildings. When I was traveling through France I was always humbled by the depth of the history you could walk in, on and through, from buildings to arches to roads.

One of these places was Pont du Gard, France. It has a massive aqueduct. My friend Juliet and I decided to take some cheese and a bottle of wine on the bus out to Pont du Gard. It was a beautiful, warm summer day. Perfect for a picnic. After we drank the bottle of wine we decided that it would be fun to walk across the top of the aqueduct.

So we hiked up and stumbled our way across the top. I don't know that this picture adequately shows how high the top of this aqueduct is. It is VERY high. Plus the wind was really whipping around. We got the middle of the aqueduct when the wine's effects started to wear off and Juliet and I decided that maybe this wasn't such a grand idea. Once we started thinking about how old the structure was and with no railings of any kind, we got down very quickly.

I shared a portion of this story with my kids and showed them pictures of Pont du Gard. Gooseygirl said, "You walked on the top of that?"

"Yeah, it wasn't a great choice, was it?", I said.

Rocketman said, "You could have died!"

Yep.... that's exactly what Juliet and I thought once we sobered up!

No comments: