Friday, May 19, 2006

The Oedipus Complex


BirdMan is head over heels in love with me. He coos at me all the time and says, "Momma, some day I'm gonna' marry you." I absolutely LOVE it and drink in those little lovey eyes he makes at me because I know that the winds of change will soon turn those lovey stares into glares of teenage angst.

Every time he announces his future wedding plans, GooseyGirl protests. As the leading expert on all things romantic, GooseyGirl tells BirdMan emphatically, "You can't marry her, she's ALREADY married!" Then she lets out this sigh of frustration for being around people so completely uninformed in the ways of love.

I always tell BirdMan, "Baby, Daddy won't mind if you want to marry me." Then BirdMan just beams at me and my heart swells.

Last night, the kidlets and I were sitting in the family room reading some of our new library books. However, BirdMan had long put down his book. He was being very, very quiet. Then he looked at me with the most serious expression I've ever seen on his face. He said, "Momma, how old are people to get married?"

I said, "Well, I got married when I was 25. Daddy was 29. Auntie Juliet was 35. Grandma was 19. So once you are a grownup you can get married any time you want. Why, sweetie?"

"I was just wondering, Momma. I was just thinking.... um.... do you think I really CAN get married to you?"

I was so touched and my heart melted as his little blue eyes met mine.

GooseyGirl piped up as she rolled her eyes, "Are you CRAZY? She'll be an OLD woman! You wouldn't want to marry HER!"

Ahhhh... children.... always willing to put you in your place.

No comments: